We actually wanted to go already last year to Russia, but we realized too late how complicated it is (and how much time you need) to get a visa for Russia.
This year it had to work out!
We asked for a Touris visa. A tourist visa is valid for30 days and you can chose between being able to enter russia in this time once or twice.
I started already in Barcelona to check for possibilities to get the visa for us.
There are two ways to get the visa:
- You go directly to a Russian embassy/consulate and the belongingVisa-Center
- You ask for the visa trough a travel agency
First I went to the Russian consulate in Hamburg. There I had to take a number and wait there standing, just sourrounded by Russian people and video cameras. This gave me already a firdt impression, on what will expect us in Russia.
Luckily s guy working there told me that for visa related issues you need to go to ther Visa-Cente. He showed me, to which building I needed to go. So not all russians are cold??!!
There they explained me, that you need the following documents to get your visa:
- A valid Passport
- An international Insurance with a minimum coverage of 30.000€ (Alex’s insurance had it already included,I had to buy it here for 30€)
- An Invitatiom (from a private person, a hotel ot a travel agency)
- a biometric portrait picture
- A certificate that you want to go back (working contract, contract of your flat/house, student certificate)
- This document filled out (in english)
Since don’t (yet) no anybody in Russia, didn’t book any hotel and don’t travel with an organized tour, we decided to get the visa trough a travel agency. We chose König Tours (in German, similarer service for Spain). Furthermore this has the benefit, thst you don’t depend on the opening hours and the location of the embassy/consulate.
We got all the needed documets, filled out the formular online and printed it. All this together with our passports we sent to the agency. After a bit more than two weeks of waiting our visa arrived.
Russi, here we come!
Do you have any questions about the visa for Russia? What was your experience with the visa? Let us know in the comments!